Products using an engraved design require the use of .SVG files.
SVG files are a format known as "vector" files.
This tutorial runs through what SVG files are, and how to convert an existing design to .SVG for use with our engraved products using entirely free, online software.
What's a vector file?
Computers have different ways of storing images. The most well known of which is known as a bitmap image which includes the commonly used .jpg and .png file formats.
Bitmap images store thousands of tiny colors on a grid, which form the image. This is great for complex images like photographs, but when these images are increased or decreased in size, they lose definition.
The other image type is vector images. An SVG file is a type of vector image file.
Vector images store the instructions required for the computer - or in our case, an engraving machine - to re-build the image on demand. Including the positioning of the lines, the angles at which they intersect, and other useful information.
The benefit of vector image files is that they can be resized to any size, and they will not pixellate or lose any definition - perfect for designs on jewelry! This makes them ideal for simple designs, text, icons, and black/white artwork.
Within reason, It is possible to convert a design from one type to the other. In this guide we will show you how to convert your design to an SVG file.
Check the design specifications.
First of all we need to check the pixel size for the design we need to upload for our product. This will be used when setting up our SVG file later.
To locate this information:
- Click download on the green template download button, when creating a new engraved product.
- Click the template.
- Click the Download button in the top left.
- The pixel size of the template is located in the top right. You do not need to download the template. Make a note of this information for later.
Converting your design to .SVG
Check out Vectorisation.org
This website will take your design, and trace over the image, outputting a vector SVG file.
- Click Browse, and choose your design.
- Make sure SVG is selected under Output Format.
- Click start.
- After a few moments you will see your result. Click the name of the file to download it.
Set up the canvas.
Next we need to place that file correctly on your design.
Check out Vectr.
- Click "use online"
- Click New Artwork
- Click the lock to unlock it, And input the height and width which you noted from the step earlier.
- Click the first grey drop-down, Choose Points
- Click the second grey drop-down, choose 300 dpi
- Click Create.
Placing your design.
You will now see a rectangle which represents the engraving space of your product.
- Click upload image on the left.
- Locate the image you downloaded from Vectorisation.org, and upload it.
- The file will import into the document, and now it must be resized to fit the engraving area.
- locate one of the corners of the blue box which surrounds the image.
- Click and drag on one of the corners to resize the image to the correct proportions. Until the entire design fits neatly into the box.
- Finally, move the design around inside the box until you are happy with it's placement.
Export the file.
- Click Export at the top. And then click download.
- Check the options are correct, (they should be already set up correctly) and click Download.
Upload the file
- Head back over to the product creation page, and upload the file.
- Finally, click Continue.
- And you're done! You can now continue to edit your product as normal.
Please sign in to leave a comment.